Many lottery organizations, including the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, use the Smartplay International rubber balls to ensure that the winning numbers drawn are completely random.
In addition to the machines used for the drawing, the testing procedure and the safeguard procedures followed by the personnel, the consistency and testing of each set of balls is critical to the fairness of the draw.
Smartplay Drawing Balls are the highest quality rubber balls available. The production consists of a 14 step process including stringent quality control inspections. At the time of manufacture the balls are placed in matched sets with extremely close tolerances of weight and size. The ball sets are packed in foam lined, lockable plastic cases. Smartplay offers many different color balls and colored inks as well as custom images.
- The weight of each ball is measured in Grams (g).
- Each ball weighs between 77.80 and 79.50 grams.
- The variation of each ball in any given set is +/- .60 grams from the average weight of all balls within that set.
- The average measurement of the balls on any axis is 51.10mm. +/- .5mm.
- The balls are examined closely, to ensure perfect surface consistency.
- Made of Natural gum rubber.
- The numbers are printed twelve times per ball; figures underlined; printed with black ink.
- Balls are available in red, blue, white, pink, green, orange, yellow, purple, and gold.
The balls will be tested regularly to ensure they are consistent for size, weight, volume displacement and bounce.
How the ball machines work: http://www.olg.ca/lotteries/draws_overview.jsp
Are the balls tested?: http://www.olg.ca/lotteries/games/lottomax_faq.jsp
Smartplay International Spec Sheet: http://www.smartplay.com/specsheets/ballsRubber_specsheet.pdf